Improving your patio space with outdoor lighting can help you continue to enjoy your backyard space well into the autumn months. At Elextric Ltd, we understand how beneficial outdoor lighting can be for any backyard space. That is why we offer a wide range of residential electrical services that can help you install the right outdoor lighting in the safest way possible.
Tips for Improving Your Patio Space with Outdoor Lighting
Before selecting an outdoor lighting fixture for your patio, it is important to take the time to consider which type of outdoor lighting will work best for your space. Some of the things that you should consider when adding outdoor lighting to a patio include:
1. Use Different Types of Outdoor Lighting Fixtures
When designing the lighting for your patio, consider using multiple types of outdoor lighting fixtures for different spaces. There are three types of outdoor lighting that you can use: ambient, task, and accent.
- Ambient lighting works to provide general illumination, setting the ambience and overall light level of a space.
- Task lighting contributes to ambient lighting, while also providing enough light to one particular area for work to get done.
- Accent lighting also contributes to ambient lighting but is more decorative than the other two types of outdoor lighting.
2. Control the Amount of Outdoor Lighting
Installing lighting controls, such as dimmers, motion sensors, or timers, can help save money on your electrical bill, while also controlling the amount of light being used. You can also consider installing timers and photocells that run on solar energy so that the outdoor lights automatically turn on at dusk and off at dawn.
3. Select Weather-Resistant Materials
One of the most important aspects of selecting outdoor lighting for your patio space is to ensure that the fixtures are made from weather-resistant materials. Doing so will help keep your outdoor lighting running at optimal efficiency for as long as possible.
4. Choose the Right Size Outdoor Lighting Fixture
When selecting an outdoor light fixture for your patio, it is important to choose a fixture that is large enough to strike a balance between proportion and light output. Take the time to consider how the light fixture will look from a distance, as well as how it looks up close. If you are still uncertain of what size will work best, it is always better to choose a fixture that is larger than you think you will need.